Wednesday, January 9, 2013

China Glaze Tranzitions


I was really excited when I first saw the press releases for these polishes.  I just really like color changing polishes.  If you don't know about this collection, Tranzitions are polishes that change color when you put top coat over them.  I used China Glaze Fast Forward Top Coat in my swatches and the double ended brush shown below for my nail art.


This was really convenient to use because it has a brush on one end and a dotting tool on the other.  But...the brush was kind of stiff, so it kept digging into the polish. :/


Duplicity, 2 coats: a mint green that shifts to dark teal.  The shades I'm showing you are all cremes, but they do have a sheen to them.  It's not visible on the nail, but you'll see it when painting your nails.  You'll also see it rub off on the top coat if you apply it too soon.  I would definitely recommend waiting for the color to dry before adding top coat.  All of these were also easy to apply with two coat formulas, but it's a different story when you try to add the top coat.


As you can see, the color change is very streaky.  Where there's more top coat, the color is deeper.  So if you apply top coat to a large area, it looks very splotchy.  Applying the top coat before the base is dry will also create more streaks.


Modify Me, 2 coats: periwinkle blue that shifts indigo.  Again the polish itself had a nice formula, but with top coat it was streaky.



Split Perso-NAIL-ity, 2 coats: dusty pink that shifts dark fuchsia.  This was the least streaky of the three.  It was just a little uneven on the sides where there was less top coat, but it was decent in comparison to the others.


Verdict:  I like the whole concept, but there are a few shortcomings to these polishes.  The biggest one would be that the streakiness top coat creates.  I tried these out with my usual Seche Vite top coat and found that Seche Vite offered faster color change and made it a little less streaky.  Nonetheless, it looks like some streakiness cannot be avoided, and some colors are more streaky than others.

Other negatives might be that you can't finish off your nail art with top coat.  So those of you who like to smooth out your nail art with a shiny top coat might not like that.  Otherwise, it is pretty cool to see the color change.  I liked Split Perso-NAIL-ity the best out of these three.

Availability:  The China Glaze Tranzitions collection is now available at fine salons and beauty supply stores nationwide.  You can usually find China Glaze polishes at Ulta and Sally Beauty Supply.


What do you think of these polishes?  Have you tried any of them yet?


Liz
Products shown in this post were provided to me for my honest review.
Please view my disclosure policy for more info.

6 comments:

  1. i think its a nice try, but for the time and steps it requires to create a mani, you can achieve it by having two colors that is similar to the before and after effects of china glaze ~ tranzitions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of this collection, but from swatches I've seen it doesn't seem like the polishes were very well-developed. The streakiness must be frustrating, and I also don't know if I could live without putting on a top coat! Oh well, at least it's a step in the right direction, and I like that the mainstream brands are trying to be more creative with the polishes they're putting out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's about the same, since the top coat acts as the second color. But I would rather go through more steps by using two colors if I can top it all off with top coat. I want my manis to be shiny and smooth. x)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Top coat is a must for me as well! I also like that polish brands have been trying to be more creative, but like you said the streakiness is hard to look past.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry they did. I didn't have any problems with staining, even with the blue color. But polishes can react differently on different people, so I would recommend always using base coat to prevent staining. ^^

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please do not leave any links or inappropriate comments, as they will be deleted. Otherwise, I appreciate and read every single comment, so please don't be shy! :)